This Saturday, I will be running the KC Half Marathon. This will be my 5th time running this amazing race and I am very excited.
Girls on the run is a program that has been very near and dear to my heart for the last few years. I began my journey with GOTR as a coach, then moved on to the 5k committee. Now I am serving as a Board Member and loving every minute.
This program is truly amazing. There are so many reasons why I love it, but today I am just going to make you read 10 of them.
1. The lessons. Did you know GOTR is not just about running? In fact, the majority of each lesson is spent teaching our girls life lessons that will make them stronger, and more confident individuals.
2. The girls. Every girl in this program is awesome in their own way. Not only can they make me laugh, but they make each other laugh.
3. The opportunity to participate. Because of donations from people like YOU, we are able to give so many girls the opportunity to participate. Without donations, we would not be able to help these girls grow into healthy and happy girls.
4. The friendships the girls make with each other. I love watching the girls develop friendships over the season. The coaches do such a good job of separating the girls from their cliques and friends. The outcome is a group of girls that are ALL friends with each other. By the end of the season these girls are so close. It is so cute to see them cheering for each other as we do our running exercises.
5. The bond with their coaches. Throughout the season we really get to know these girls. I have had girls confide in me when they didn’t feel like they could trust any one else. The bond we form is truly amazing and I miss them so much when the season ends.
6. Watching their progress. Not only do we get to watch them grow into strong individuals throughout the season, but we get to see them become better runners. Girls that never thought they could run a mile will shock themselves by running 2 in practice. The running aspect of each practices turns them into such confident young ladies.
7. The hilarious things they say. These girls are so funny. They make each other laugh, and they make me laugh. One of my favorite GOTR lessons is when we talk about gossip. During this lesson we share examples of times we have been gossiped about. In one of my lessons, I had a little girl raise her hand and say – “This boy at school started telling people I was an elf”…then she really killed me with….”I mean, I know I am really short but I am not an Elf!!”
So funny. And look at the confidence we helped her gain to stand up for herself to that annoying little boy :)
8. The positive behavior we encourage. Let’s face it…some days it is really easy to be negative. GOTR teaches the girls how to unplug from our negative “cord” and be positive individuals. I always say that this program did as much for me as it did for these girls.
9. The steps they take towards healthy living. Not only does the program encourage girls to be healthy emotionally and physically, but we teach them smart ways to eat. At the end of each practice, a healthy snack is served. With a new partnership with Door to Door Organics, these girls get to try organic fruits and vegetables that they have never had the chance to try. By providing them with these snacks, we hope they continue to make these healthy choices outside of practice.
10. The season ending 5k. After a season of life lessons and fun runs, the girls are ready for their season ending 5k. At this 5k, the girls really get to celebrate their accomplishments. Watching these girls work so hard at the 5k is amazing. When they cross that finish line you see a sense of pride in them that was not there when they started the season just a couple months prior.
EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS!!!
$10 buys a healthy snack
$35 buys a girl a pair of running shoes
$135 puts a girl through the program
Without donations from people like YOU, girls do not get the opportunity to participate in this program. So many of these girls need the guidance and support this program offers.
DONATE NOW!!!!! Pretty please?
I promise you, your money is well spent.
And if you don’t believe me….just look at a few pictures my husband snapped at the last 5k. If these don’t show happiness and confidence, I don’t know what does!