A New York State of Mind

30 Oct

I am currently sitting on my couch all cozy listening to the rain with the song “New York State of Mind” on repeat. I might be getting a little teary too.

I am so excited for the NYCM to be here, and I am so excited to be in New York on Friday. The trip could not come soon enough.

Today, my blog friend Doug sent me a list of questions and asked me to answer them for a blog project he is working on. The questions were about NYCM and my thoughts, feelings and goals towards the race.

As I sat there reading those questions and thinking about my answers, I reflected on how thankful I am to be running this race. This race has been nearly 2 years in the making, since I first received my acceptance January 2012. I have dreamt about this race, visualized this race, and planned this race. And on Sunday, the race will finally be here.

New York is not the only thing I have been thinking about though. I have been thinking about Boston too. A lot.

Boston will forever be a part of me. The experiences in Boston will always stay with me, and the memories of what happened will always live in the back (and sometimes front) of my mind. Boston changed me, but it changed me for the better.

The experiences there showed me what is important in life. And it showed me how precious life is.

I am not just lucky that I got into the New York City Marathon, I am lucky because I am able to run the New York City Marathon. I have my health. I have my strength. And I have my support system.

To me, this race on Sunday will be a celebration of what our communities (running, cities, nation, etc) have overcome this last year. We have stood strong together through hurricanes. We have been brave for each other through horrible attacks on our nation. We have stuck together through it all, and we will continue to do so.

I am not scared anymore to run on Sunday. I am excited. And I am ready.

On Sunday, I will run for the victims of Sandy that are still recovering from the aftermath of the storm.

On Sunday, I will run for those in Boston that continue to be affected – mentally and physically. Especially those that cannot run anymore.

And on Sunday, I will run for me. I will run to prove to myself what my body is capable of. I will run to see the pay out of the hard training. And hopefully, I will run to a big fat PR on the clock.

At the 2012 NYCM finish line.

At the 2012 NYCM finish line.

About these ads

12 Responses to “A New York State of Mind”

1. Anonymous October 30, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

I love you… and will be running with you, every step of the way.

• Anonymous October 31, 2013 at 7:40 am #

And I guess you should know this is from me!!

2. Melody October 30, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Such a great outlook! Good luck!

3. Caroline October 31, 2013 at 4:15 am #

Great post! I’m sure running this weekend will be a moving and emotional experience for you, and I hope that within all of that you are able to enjoy the results of months of training. Good luck in NYC!

4. Beth October 31, 2013 at 6:40 am #

This post made me tear up. I can’t wait until you get here. This weekend is going to be amazing!

5. lauradempsey75 October 31, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Woo Hoo! Boston loves you right back Ali! Let’s show NYC what we’ve got!!

6. imarunner2012 October 31, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Good luck Sunday! I have a few friends running also.

7. Sophie @ life's philosophie October 31, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Good luck! It’s going to be an amazing weekend for you :) Enjoy every minute of it.

8. elleroos October 31, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Good luck Ali!! I will be cheering on 110th street on the west side of First Ave and then again on Fifth ave and 110th street-hope to see you!! Best wishes to you for a happy and speedy marathon!!! xooxx!

9. Megan October 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

You will do great Ali! Such a great attitude and running for all the right reasons. :)

10. Jen November 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Have a fantastic race, Ali!!! You are seriously going to rock it. I’ll be volunteering at the Mile 17 sponge station!

11. Taehun November 23, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Oct. 22, 2012WHAT: Chicken for Children fundraiser for the Dr. Bill Lewis Center for Children ftirueang Nelson’s barbecued chicken dinnerWHEN: 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Oct. 31WHERE: Free delivery in Fort Wayne or pick up at Plymouth Congregational Church, 501 W.Berry St.TO ORDER: Call (260)750-8032 or email Rebecca Nix at . Orders will be taken until 500 dinners are sold. Dinners sell out fast so ORDER NOW!COST: $9/meal includes: bd Nelson’s chicken & Pit-Tatoes,™ green beans, bread/butter and a treat. **Great time-saver for Halloween night or enjoy for lunch at your place of work or home! All proceeds benefit the Dr. Bill Lewis Center for Children which provides forensic interviews of child victims of alleged sexual abuse.