What a Marathon Means to Me

2 Nov

Well, it is official – I am running a marathon, and I am running this marathon very soon! On December 4th, 2011 I will be able to call myself a “marathoner”, and I couldn’t be more ready for that title. I have been a runner for years, however running marathon has always been my goal and my dream.

Years ago, my Dad told me I was not “allowed” to run a marathon until I was 25 years old (he thought it would be too hard on my body before that). Well Dad, I am 25 and it is time. I have been running my butt off the past few months, and why not top off all the training with the mecca of all races – a MARATHON. Following a nudge from Stacy and encouragement from my Mom, I decided that it was for sure time for me to do this. And I will be doing this  at the Dallas White Rock Marathon.

To me, a marathon means that I am in a new category of runners. It seems like every time I tell people that I am a runner, they quickly follow up by asking “Oh! How many marathons have you done?”. Well after December 4th, I will no longer have to answer by saying, “None…BUT I have done 4 half marathons and a TON of 5k’s!”. Now I will be able to say, “I have done one! AND 4 half marathons and a TON of 5k’s!”, and I will say this with a big smile on my face.

As of December 4th, I will have accomplished something that very few people do. I will also have an immense amount of pride in myself knowing that I did so. This race will not be about time (completely) but will be about accomplishing a dream.

I appreciate all of the encouragement, thoughts and prayers people send my way the next few weeks. Stay tuned for more updates on the marathon training, and also the inevitable fears and moments of anxiety that will surely come my way.

xo!

8 Responses to “What a Marathon Means to Me”

1. Devin November 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

AH good luck Ali cat!! I know you’ll do great! You’re a natural runner and will kick some marathon butt…good luck training! xo, Dev

2. Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Full marathon! I am so proud! you are brave and devoted. I will toast with a glass of champagne in your honor that day.
    Your lazy aunt (you know which aunt)

3. Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

And I will be there with my camera being a mom! Love you!

4. Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Woohoo, first step is over! I so wish I could be there to cheer you on, but I know you will do so great and kick major booty all while looking fabulous! I LOVE YOU! Love – Lindsey

5. Jocelyn November 7, 2011 at 7:28 am #

OMG! Congratulations!!! that is sooo soon! Can’t wait to read all your posts during your training.

6. Dhitri November 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Good luck, Ali! I will look out for your first tweet after crossing the finish line. And make sure you post a race report here, I wanna hear all about it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. It’s the Final Countdown « miles with style - November 27, 2011

[…] it’s final countdown time before the Dallas White Rock Marathon. In 7 days, I will be able to call myself a marathon […]

2. A Year in Review: 2011 « miles with style - January 4, 2012

[…] November I signed up and committed to run my very first marathon!!! November was full of training, hard. November also took me to Chicago for a girls weekend with […]