The Power of Positive Thinking

18 Jan

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about the role positive thinking can play in ones life.

Everyday I come in contact with negative people, and I always want to ask them what they think their negative attitude is going to accomplish for them. Do they think that complaining about something is going to make it change? Do they think that if they try to bring other people down with them, their bad situation will somehow get better (the misery loves company idea)? Or do they not think about these things at all?

I am a positive person, and I always have been. I try to see the good in everyone and in every situation I am placed in. Am I always able to overcome every obstacle with a big smile on my face? No. But you can bet I will try my hardest to do so.

Positive thinking has not only played a huge role in my life, but also in my running successes. Since I began my running career at the age of 13 (middle school cross country), I have realized how important it is to stay positive during races and hard workouts.The minute that I let my mind go in a race, I might as well quit.

I have encountered many “mental” runners over the years. I have run with them on my cross country/track teams, and next to them in half marathons. And I always feel sorry for them that they deal with those negative thoughts. I am so thankful to stay away from joining the crowd of “mental” runners, and that I can keep myself going by saying affirmations in my head.

As I said earlier, I don’t make it out of every situation with a big fat smile on my face. But I do really try to make that the case. The experts say that running is very much a mental sport, and I couldn’t agree more.

To all my friends out there facing something hard in life, or getting prepared to, please keep in mind that you can overcome so much by keeping your head up and your mind free of negativity. And if that isn’t enough to think of, try my favorite quote by Robert H. Schuller – “Tough times never last, but tough people do!”.

How do you keep negativity from creeping into your life? Or do you struggle like so many do to keep these thoughts away? Do you have advice for dealing with other negative people we encounter daily? I would love to hear your views on this!

12 Responses to “The Power of Positive Thinking”

1. Tara Burner January 19, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Positive thinking is actually a part of the #justdoitjanuary challenge on twitter ( http://tinyurl.com/justdoitjanuary) because so many people are dealing with negative people and negative thoughts.

Tough times never last, but tough people do! is one of my favorite quotes..it’s helped me get through a lot of tough times….and having to deal with negativity from people that I have no choice…I have to deal with them..

I try to not listen to their negativity, feel sorry for them that they’re so negative and go happily about my day….most times…sometimes it does hit me though 😦

advice..just keep keeping on πŸ™‚

2. Marcia January 19, 2012 at 10:40 am #

I love this post! I think negativity, just like positivity, is a habit we can fall into and not even realize how negative we’ve become. I find it draining to be around negative people. If they’re really bad, I limit my exposure.
    IMO awareness is the first step. When negative thoughts creep in, I work to replace them with positive ones.

3. Nicole January 19, 2012 at 11:34 am #

We had a wedinar at work a few months ago by Steve Gilliland. You should google him and watch a youtube video. He is one of the best positive speakers I have heard. The webinar we watched was called “Dealing with Negativity in the Workplace.” When I walked out it gave me a really great and POSITIVE outlook on life and work. I recommend it to you and DEG!

• mileswithstyle (@ahatfield08) January 19, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I think you sent that to me awhile back! I will take a look at it again. I would like to focus more on the power of positive thinking and share it on the blog πŸ™‚

4. foodfitandfam January 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Negativity can be hard to overcome. I choose to not surround myself with overly negative people because they bring me down. I want my friends to lift me up! I feel sorry for people with such a poor outlook because life is short so think happy thoughts πŸ™‚ It’s more fun that way! Thanks for sharing!

• mileswithstyle (@ahatfield08) January 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Ok, so here is a question…what about the people that you can’t avoid?? No matter what, they are in your life…

5. Jocelyn @ Enthusiastic Runner January 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Negativity is really hard to overcome if you are around negative people all the time! That is the worst (especially at work when you can’t get away from people). I always try to read positive books, or look up positive quotes! And call a friend who will cheer me up!

6. Nancy Hat. January 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

As an educator it was often difficult to get away from that negative vibe. Whether it be parents, students, or co-workers negativity would rear it’s ugly head daily. My solution: Find the humor in the situation! My work friends always joked that we could put the “FUN” in any disFUNctunal situation. Search out your FUN – it’s always there!!!

7. Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I’m definitely a big believer in positive thinking and its effects. I know my thoughts impact me in a huge way!

8. Judy S. January 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Ali – I just love your blog, and as your former English teacher, I am very proud of your writing skills! This post on positive thinking is great, and something that is relevant to all of us, even those of us who are not runners. Keep up the good work!

9. pure2rawtwins January 19, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

great post with a great reminder – positive thinking is so powerful!! I am working on being better with it.

thanks for the wonderful reminder of how powerful it is!

10. tonee78ni@runninglovingliving January 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

I unfortunately have always been a negative person with myself..I am never good enough, I always fail (even though I usually succeed), the glass is half empty. I have worked very hard over the years to become more positive and I have succeeded. I am not negative toward other people and when people are negative toward me I tend to ignore it because I feel it usually stems from jealousy or them wanting what I have. Thanks for sharing.