A Letter to My Skinny Friend

2 Feb

Dear Skinny Friend,

We have lived in the same neighborhood for about 2 and a half years. I don’t know your name. I don’t know your story. I don’t know anything about your life. But I really like you. And you inspire me.

Our faux friendship started shortly after I moved into my house. I would see you running in the morning, and see the determination within you. Every time we run by each other, we share a polite “hello” and “good morning!”. You also give me a very kind smile that tells me you are a nice person.

So why do you inspire me? You inspire me because no matter what weather – rain, snow, cold, heat, etc. you are out hitting the pavement in our neighborhood. Every single day you run. And every day you look so determined to get to the next step.

You also inspire me because over the two and a half years we’ve been living in the same neighborhood, you have lost at least 50 pounds. Anyone who can take control of their life and do that for themselves inspires me. I don’t what else you are doing aside from running, but skinny friend – you’re lookin’ good.

Maybe someday we will stop and have a conversation during our run. However based on your focus and my tendency to start my morning runs late, I don’t know if that will ever happen.

Thank you for being an example to others in our neighborhood, and proving that being active can make a big difference in ones life.

Also, thanks for all the smiles, hello’s and good mornings these last two years. Keep up the running, and keep up that level of determination.

-Ali

6 Responses to “A Letter to My Skinny Friend”

1. Nicole February 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Your skinny friend sounds like soemone you should stop and start a conversation with. I know you are both out there each morning to try and meet/beat your goals you’ve set for the day. But telling this person that they inspire you would probably do more than just make her day. It would give her more inspiration to keep on working harder. Just food for thought…

2. Nancy Hat. February 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I have “nicknames” for some of the regular people I see on the trail when I run. It’s funny how you see people everyday and don’t ever actually talk to them. I am inspired by people I see at boot camp working hard to be just a little more healthy and a little more fit. I don’t care what your fitness level is, if you’re willing to step it up and take it to the next level, I admire you!

3. Judy S. February 2, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I agree with Nicole – I think you should tell your skinny friend that she inspires you! I also would bet that YOU inspire her, too. Great blog today!

4. Brianna February 3, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I agree, tell this guy next time you see him! I am also inspired by people just getting out and doing it, you never know what else they having going on in their lives!

5. Josie February 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

I am also in agreement!! You should say hi to this person and tell them how impressed you are (and now numerous unknown people online as well!) I love success stories. I am sure you will make there day with a “good on you” 🙂

6. Vicki February 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

I love this! I think you should tell your skinny friend how inspiring she is to you! 🙂