My Love/Hate Relationship

15 Mar

I am in a love/hate relationship. And this relationship is with speedwork.

Every week, I dread my Tuesday/Thursday runs because it means we are doing speedwork. And this week was no different; tempo run on Tuesday, track work on Thursday.

Speedwork is hard. And uncomfortable. Speedwork forces you to put your body in a state of discomfort for an extended amount of time, and makes you feel like death while you’re doing it. Speedwork is also very scary, and intimidating. You see the times you must run your repeats in and immediately think, “Holy crap” (or at least I do).

But one thing is for sure: Speedwork pays off, and makes you run faster than you think is possible for your body.

As I said earlier, speedwork is a love/hate relationship for me. And although last night at 9pm I hated it, today at approximately 6:26am, I was in love…

Diana’s training schedule (I use Di’s, because I have yet to make one for myself) listed mile repeats for today. When I heard this, I said to her, “Oh, well you can do those but I am doing my own thing. I despise mile repeats. They suck. No way.”

As I was driving to meet the girls this morning, I was trying to figure out what I was going to run…800’s? 400’s? A ladder? And when I got up to the track, I still had not decided. We ran our warm up run, and still no decision (It is really hard to think at 5:15am).

Then it was time to start the actual workout. So I sucked it up and said I would do the first mile repeat with them, and then do my own thing (whatever that may be).

Well, I never started my own thing, and ended up running all 4 of those dang repeats.

The times for each mile were as follows: 7:02, 6:43, 6:41, 6:34. I thought anything under 7 would be good, and after the first mile I knew I needed to kick it into gear and pick up the pace. I didn’t think I would have these 6 min miles in my legs today, but it appears I did.

After I finished, I was proud and happy (as I always am after a Tuesday/Thursday run). And on a total runners high (my favorite feeling!!!). I am so glad that I pushed myself to do this workout today and didn’t give up. Diana and Stacy also did awesome on theirs, and we were a happy group overall.

Stacy wrapped up our run with a groundbreaking observation. She said to us, “You know what makes you run a fast race? Practicing a fast pace”. Shut the front door, I never would have guessed!!!

How do you feel about speedwork?? Do you love it? Hate it? Or both like me?

6 Responses to “My Love/Hate Relationship”

1. Marcia March 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I love speed work because it made me a different runner than I was without it. I learned that what I think I can do in my head and what I can actually do, are sometimes two different things. Sure it hurts and I often have to make a deal with myself to ‘try just one repeat and see’ but the satisfaction afterward and the payoff on race day are well worth the hurt.

2. Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner March 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

I also love it and hate it. Sure, it does make a difference, but going out for a nice long recovery run is so much more enjoyable. that being said, speed work certainly has its place in my training plan, and i do dread those days. however, come race day, its all worth it (i hope!) ๐Ÿ™‚

3. JMJ March 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Another vote here for love/hate affair with speed work. We all know it works, but it’s hard! Especially on the dread mill! (my speed work).

4. runwiki March 16, 2012 at 5:01 am #

I love doing my speed work because most of the time my husband and children come out to the track with my on a Sunday morning. Unlike all of my other training it is nice to have the company. My kids are really adorable cheering me on.. it’s motivating. Love the high that come with it as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Corey March 19, 2012 at 10:56 am #

I seriously have the EXACT same relationship with speedwork. During my Houston training, I spent the entire time counting down the number of speed workouts until the very end. Yet, I never feel more proud of myself after a workout than I do after speed and I find myself (now that I am not training) doing more speed workouts “just for fun”. But those are some speedy mile repeats (which ARE the worst, btw)! Hopefully you can ride that high right into the next speed session!

6. Karen Tannehill April 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I enjoyed reading your post. I still have so much to learn, and from what I’m reading from various sources, speed work will be inevitable. Blargh!