Running for Others

17 Apr

I have always been a supporter of running your own race, and not letting other people get in your way. When I run races to race, I get in my ‘Me’ zone, and only focus on myself. This might sound selfish, but it is what allows me to be the best I can be, and I always tell people to follow this mantra.

The next 6 weeks however, I will be completely changing my mindset on running for myself. And I will only be running for others.

It all begins this weekend when I run the Kansas Half Marathon as a pacer for the 1:55 group. Being a pacer means so much to me, and has been a goal of mine for the last few years. I get to wear a special shirt, hold a stick for 13.1 miles, and lead a group of runners to their goal pace alongside Stacy. What could be better than that?

The next race I run will be the Chicagoland Marathon on May 20th. I am running this marathon with my dear friend, running buddy, and accountability partner, Diana.

The purpose of this race will be to get Diana into the 2013 Boston Marathon. I have NO doubts that she can do it. And I cannot wait to run next to her when we cross that finish line under a 3:45. Diana and I have had the BEST coach (ahem Stacy Scalfaro), and we will reach that goal come race day.

Diana and Stacy supporting me through my first marathon!

The last race on the list that I plan to run for someone else is the Hospital Hill Half Marathon. I will be running this race with my BFF, Nicole.

Nicole will be getting married one week after the race, and we plan to kickoff the wedding festivities with a half marathon. Nicole’s goal will be a PR, and I will be there to help her achieve this. After all, I am the Maid of Honor, it is my duty to keep the bride happy and make sure everything is perfect (and what could be more perfect than PR’ing right before you get married?!?!).

We climbed a mountain together, a PR should be a piece of cake!

Although none of these races will be ran to achieve a time goal of mine, I couldn’t be more excited to run them. Over the next 6 weeks I have the opportunity to help others achieve some major goals. I also get to be there right next to them and see that accomplishment on their faces when they do.

Running for ME is fun, but I think running for others will be an even better experience.

More details to come on all of these races….

XO,

9 Responses to “Running for Others”

1. Paulette April 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Looks like a great race line up – good luck! Can’t wait to read the race reports.

2. Anonymous April 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

I am SO blessed and lucky to have such a great Maid of Honor and BFF to help me achieve my PR!! I am already a little nervous about the pressure of achieving a PR and hopefully a sub 1:50 half marathon but with you there next to me talking me through it I will hopefully do it. And if not we will at least enjoy running a race together. Which is not a very frequent event any more. You are going to be an amazing pacer in the Kansas Half Marathon! Good Luck!!!!

ps. Buddy looks miserable in that photo, much to hot for my poor puppy. He was a trooper!!

• Katie April 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I’ll be in Chicago the weekend you run your marathon! I think more on the out skirts of the city though, to watch some friends compete in the Crossfit Regionals. And yes, Buddy looks like he’s about to start licking the dirt in hopes of finding water.

• Nicole April 18, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Why didn’t it say my name?

3. Lindsey Finger April 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

What a wonderful post!!! Maybe someday we can run next to each other. Best of luck! Love, Lindsey

4. Diana Stauffer April 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Oh Ali, I am so lucky to have you and Stacy in my life. I enjoy running more and more each and everyday that we all run together. Thank you both for helping me work toward accomplishing a goal that so many only dream of. And yes, my face will be something to see after I cross that finish line in under a 3:45!!!

5. Josie April 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

All your races sound so much fun!! I would love to be a pacer one day- how cool! Good luck 🙂

6. Kevin April 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

There is nothing like running with or for others. I intend to follow your steps, Ali, and become a pacer one day. I wish you another great race in May!

7. Corey April 18, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I love this post! It is awesome that you are running for so many others over the next few weeks! What a great way to enjoy racing in a completely different way!! It is o much fun to celebrate (and help) others getting their goals! Can’t wait to red about it!