Running is My Therapy

15 Aug

So, we all have our own “issues” we deal with each and every day. Some big, some small, but they are always there (unless you are living a life of denial).

Many people see a therapist to deal with their issues. Others talk to their family and friends. For me, I handle them with a pair of Brooks running shoes, and a Garmin – out on the road, pounding on that pavement. Sometimes with friends, sometimes all alone.

People often ask me, “How do you run that much?” or “WHY do you run that much?”.

And my answer to that question is always simple and clear: “It’s my therapy. I need it to keep me sane”.

An example of how Ali feels when she does not run.

I know that I live a very wonderful life filled with joy and happiness, but sometimes I get pretty freaking overwhelmed. And my anxiety level can go through the roof.

To cope with these issues, I have learned that running is key. Running balances my life in a way that nothing else can. It brings me back down to a place that I can handle, and one that I can manage.

Running also makes me happy – just like Elle Woods stated in Legally Blonde, “Endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don’t kill their husbands” (girlfriend was majorly correct).

I bet I ran the day this photo was taken.

I need to run, I have to run. And if I am so blessed with this amazing ability to be able to run, why wouldn’t I go out and do it as much as possible??

So I must ask, are you like me and use exercise as your “therapy”? Or do you have other methods to share?

Hope your week is going well!

xoxo

7 Responses to “Running is My Therapy”

1. Andrea August 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Running is also mine. It is a time when I can just relax and be calm, no matter how short or long I run. It is my destresser. I ran tonight and it made my feet feel better. I have been in heels again since I have been back to work and running in my cushioned shoes actually felt so good. I know, I am weird. So from less stress to happy feet, I am a runner!

• Ramsey Mohsen (@rm) August 15, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Totally agree. Everyone must find their own way of decompressing. Before my surgery it was running. Afterwards, it’s been biking! But, i’m hoping to now be able to enjoy both!

2. Heidi Henry (@BananaBuzzbomb) August 15, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

100% agree with this. If it weren’t for running I’d need medication. Seriously =)

3. Corey August 16, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Yes! Absolutely. I have run a total of 1.8 miles this week and I feel like I am going crazy. Granted I have swam and biked, but ITS NOT THE SAME! I am itching for some run endorphins!!

4. Anonymous August 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

When I treated myself to a few weeks off this summer I found myself feeling anxious. I couldn’t figure out why. Taking a break is a good thing right? Then I realized, running really is my therapy too. It’s my time and it makes me feel so good when I am done. Sometimes a break makes you appreciate what you are missing.

5. Lindsey August 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I do it a little bit of it all, usually it winds down to glass (or 2…) of wine! 😉

6. Nadia November 23, 2013 at 7:23 am #

I believe that Obox Design is much untreraded in templates industry since they have adorable designs with attention to details. I was impressed when I saw their WP themes at first because it gives me a chance to customize my website to my specifications. And as the icing on the cake is their excellent support and I’m very happy for that!