“I am bored with this”

8 Oct

A very smart and clever woman recently said I phrase I have grown to love – “I am bored with this”.

Who is this clever woman you ask? Well it is Heather from the Real Housewives of Orange County (Duhhh).

Lately I have been inserting this phrase into my life wherever (and whenever) possible, because I think it is so hilarious (and applicable). Whether I am waiting in line at Target, attending a dull meeting or inserted into a dramatic situation I have no interest in being a part of, you can bet that I am “bored with it”.

And let me tell you – I have recently become very “bored” with my marathon training. The long runs are exhausting. The 4am alarm clocks are tiring. And the schedule I must adhere to is overwhelming.

I am so over marathon training, that I am starting to loathe it. I want race day to be here so freaking bad, and yesterday marked four weeks from the New York City Marathon. I am starting to panic that I might not be able to make it another month of these hard runs and early mornings. And that I might lose my drive and determination that I had going 2 months ago.

The first part of my training was awesome. I was running like a rock star, and breaking all my previous training PR’s. I felt like I was on cloud nine and could go out and run a 6:45 pace whenever the heck I wanted. But now? It is a totally different story.

The last two weeks have been full of semi-disappointing runs. They feel so hard, and I feel so tired. Last week I had to QUIT a speed session halfway through. I NEVER quit my training runs, so this was not an easy pill to swallow. Although I have started to feel a bit better the last couple days, I am still not back to “me”, and I am freaking out that I don’t know how to get back there, and that I won’t get back there to break a 3:30 marathon.

Now I request your help….how do I get back to my determined state I was in just a few weeks ago? And how do I get my fast legs back to running sub 7 minute miles without a problem?!

Help!! All tips, advice and suggestions are welcome!!

7 Responses to ““I am bored with this””

1. RunnerOnTheRight October 8, 2012 at 11:23 am #

It definitely happens to everyone. Fortunately you are so close at this point, it will just take a little extra motivation to get you over that last minute lull. Something that always inspires me to keep training hard is to watch and celebrate other people accomplishing similar feats. If you can, find a local race and just watch it. You will see and remember how all the hard work pays off and it’s just a good, fun way to reclaim the image of how awesome it will be when you rush through that finish line in Central Park and see a clock somewhere under 3:30. Best of luck with the taper!

• mileswithstyle (@AliHatfield) October 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

These are great tips!! You are right, I am so dang close and my taper is right around the corner. I am watching the Kansas City Marathon in two weeks and I know this will motivate me a TON! I am really excited to celebrate these runners and cheer on my friends who are running.

Thank you, as always, for all the tips and encouragement 🙂

2. Nicole October 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Relax! Don’t over thinking this marathon or the big number of sub 3:30. You have put the work in. When having a bad run just think today might not be my best day but I have completed other great runs in the past I can do it again tomorrow! And if nothing else works remember you qualified for Boston at your first marathon you are strong and fast!

3. Mark Logan October 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I have hit this point during nearly every one of my marathon training cycles. It usually happens about a month out, when the long runs are peaking, but taper is still weeks away.

You just slog through it, because quitting is unacceptable. Know that seeing it through, even if you don’t perform as you’d like, is vastly preferable to giving up.

An if you DO manage to perform at or exceed your expectations, then you will have the deeper satisfaction of having persevered an triumphed. In some ways, overcoming the doldrums and pushing through the boredom makes the reward of finishing even sweeter.

4. fashionablemiles October 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Trust your training- this is normal during peak training. Your legs, body and mind are tired. This is why you will LOVE taper- although it might give you the taper crazies. You’re a super strong runner and this is just the heavy load talking not your true abilities. Take a deep breath. Take an extra rest day if you need it- or trade a run for cross training to mix it up and trick your muscles. BELIEVE- that’s my mantra this season. 🙂

• joe -h October 9, 2012 at 8:43 am #

+1 listen to your body and give it a little extra rest if it needs it

5. Corey October 10, 2012 at 10:48 am #

You are SO close! Almost there. And just think…of that 4 weeks you have left, a big chunk of it will be taper!! Your legs are probably feeling EXACTLY how they should be feeling at this point…tired, dead and ready for a break. That means you are READY!