Marathons are Like Relationships

13 Jan

Following my Dallas Marathon experience, I decided that marathons are like relationships.

So hear me out.

When you train for a marathon, you put your heart and soul into it, much like you do with a relationship. You devote many hours to it, and feel the negative effects when you neglect it.

You also spend insane amounts of time dreaming of the outcome of your hard work. For marathons it would be crossing the finish line in a PR, BQ or goal worthy time. For relationships it would be the wedding with the perfect white dress and gorgeous centerpieces.

And when marathons and relationships don’t go your way, the effects are felt almost the same.

Within the last year, I have been through a relationship that didn’t go my way, and two marathons that also didn’t go my way. And with both cases, I had similar feelings afterwards.

With my marathon I thought to myself, “Wow. I trained for this thing for 5 months, put every ounce of my body into it, and did not get close to the outcome that I desired.”

With my relationship I thought to myself, “Wow. I worked for months, poured my heart into it, wasted tears on it, spent many late nights devoted to it, and did not get the outcome I had thought would come.”

And then with both, I had the realization I would have to completely start over. Back to square one. Back to the drawing board.

When a marathon doesn’t go your way, you can’t just run another one the next weekend and get the outcome you had wanted (unless you are a running freak). When a relationship doesn’t go your way, you can’t just go on a blind date the following Saturday night and meet the person you’ll marry the next week (unless you are a celeb or you make really bad decisions).

In both cases, you have to come to terms with the fact that you will be starting over and the timeline of reaching your dream will be extended.

Someday, I will break 3:30 in my marathon. I am just not sure when that will be. My body and mind need time to recover from Dallas and process what it will take to work towards that goal again. Although I will be running the Boston Marathon in April, I am not sure an under 3:30 marathon is in the cards there.

And someday, I will wear my perfect white wedding dress and have the most perfect centerpieces that are talked about for years. I am well on my way to this dream, and my heart and mind tell me that I will never have to “start over” with this process again. 😉

How do you deal with a marathon that doesn’t go your way? Or a relationship this doesn’t go your way? What helps you accept the fact that you have to start over?

Wishing you a great week ahead!!

7 Responses to “Marathons are Like Relationships”

1. RunToInspire January 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

great analogy and a lovely read.
    Good luck with your next marathon, and your dream man 🙂

2. valentine18 January 13, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

You know me! I always say, “You have to love yourself first.” It sounds like both situations let you down but I know you have picked yourself up and turned the two not perfect marathon results and breakup around! Your next PR will come, most likely when you least expect it. Don’t sweat the small stuff! You’re a happy, healthy, amazing friend and you will break 3:30!

3. Fit[fash]run January 13, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

That comparison is SO true. Even when you’re just going through hard times with anything in life. Coping with a bad race is hard but you have to remember not every race is good. I had a horrible 1/2 marathon I was hoping if finish in under 2:10 (first was 2:21) I pr’d every race before the big one. And that was my worst race. My attitude was crappy it was pouring rain an thunder and lightening so no one was out to cheer us on to keep going. I took a little time off running, and just recently (past few months) have been taking long runs again. I was sulky for awhile but it reminded me nothing not even the most meticulous training plans don’t guarantee results!

Great post 🙂 good luck in beantown!

4. Amanda Simpfenderfer January 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Interesting analogy. It really is crazy how running can help you work through you’re everyday life

5. 26dot2withToddler January 15, 2013 at 12:31 am #

But remember, your goals may change. And if you never set another PR or never wear the white dress, you can still lead a happy life.

6. @therunginger January 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

I think you need to go into a marathon and marathons training with the mentality that that race is simply a stepping stone to something else, whether that be another marathon, an ultra, or a triathlon. You can’t look at the time following as starting over, or you will just get sad about it. Guess the same goes for relationships.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sloshy Snow Run, Quinoa and Fun Links. | thedancingrunner - January 15, 2013

[…] the rest of the week. We will see how that goes. A few fun links for you…love this girl’s metaphor for marathons. Also, ain’t nobody got time for most of these things. If you are needing a good laugh, […]