Boston Marathon Training…It Has Begun!

21 Jan

This weekend, I ran my first official training run of my Boston Marathon training.

I will be running Boston this year with two of my incredible running buddies – Stacy and Diana. Stacy and I qualified December 2011 and Diana qualified September 2012. For Diana and I, this will be our first Boston. For Stacy, it will be her 2nd.

On Saturday morning, I met Emily, Diana and Stacy for a nice 10 mile run. We ran one of our familiar routes, and had some amazing chats during the run. Sometimes you just need to have some girlfriend time and talk to your friends about life!

We didn’t run fast for us (about a 9:40 pace), but we did have fun. And for Boston, our goal will be able to have FUN.

I won’t lie – I am not super stoked at the moment to run Boston. Of course I am excited for this amazing experience, but I am not excited about training for another marathon. My forever long training this fall has me a tad burnt out on the sport.

I love to run, but I don’t necessarily love to train. There is a huge difference between running when I want to, and running because I have to.

The Boston Marathon will be a fun race for me. And will be one I do to enjoy. No, I do not foresee PR’ing, but I do foresee having a ton of fun!

There will be many more posts to come about Boston. I look forward to sharing all of the experiences as well as ups and downs of training with you!

xoxo,

10 miles complete, with big smiles on our faces.

10 miles complete, with big smiles on our faces. Can you spy the “Boston Qualifier” sign behind us? Diana still has it in her yard. She is so proud and I love it!!!

9 Responses to “Boston Marathon Training…It Has Begun!”

1. Whitney January 21, 2013 at 11:30 am #

I’m short and so it’s easy for me to fall into that kind of thinking about legs. Whenever I find myself freaking out about my thighs though, I remind myself, “Wait- these are awesome thighs! These thighs can run 26 miles! These thighs can kick serious ass!”

There’s always a way to find a positive thought in the midst of negative ones. 🙂

2. valentine18 January 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Sounds like you lovely ladies rocked these 10 miles!

• Kapil November 20, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Seriously runners, take a look at this sesytm. I’m trying it and it works. I’ve ran for nearly 32 years but didn’t do much running for about the last 7 years. When I started running again I was shocked at how much speed I had lost. For the last year I decided to pick up my mileage again. For eight months I ran 30 to 40 miles per week but my speed didn’t increase. Then I heard about the Race Rx sesytm. After doing it for 5 weeks my speed is increasing. I’m running a lot less but my speed is getting a lot faster. Try the program. It is inexpensive and you’ll find the workouts enjoyable and challenging.

3. supergenericgirl January 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Exciting! Looking forward to more posts about the training!

4. Cecilia @ mommiesrun January 21, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

How exciting! I can’t wait to read about your training. It’s so funny that I ran 10 miles as part of 3 weeks till a half and you’re starting training with 10 miles! Best of luck!

5. mary @ minutes per mile January 22, 2013 at 5:43 am #

That’s a good goal to have. I feel like people who approach races with a fun, laid-back attitude sometimes end up doing way better than they thought they would!

6. Amy January 22, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I’m running Boston for the first time this year too, and I have a pretty similar outlook…I love the race experience, but I am not looking forward to the next 12 weeks of training either! Good luck!

7. Steph Runs On January 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Hopefully once the weather gets a big nicer you will be excited for training again. Training in the cold and snow is not fun, no matter what race you’re training for.