New Workout Adventures

30 Jan

Since I ran the Dallas Marathon last month, I joined a gym and have been trying out new workouts.

I LOVE trying new things when it comes to working out. I have always thought that changing things up gives your body an extra boost and really helps you see results. It also helps you from getting burnt out mentally on just one sport (i.e. only running).

My new workout adventures include three things.

First up, Spinning.

I have always wanted to try spin. I thought it looked fun, and really hard.

I try to do spin 2 times a week, and have been loving it. The classes are fun, and the music is super motivational. I also love that we do it in the dark at my gym!

I have heard that Spin is really good for your fast twitch muscles. I am really interested to see if this proves true when I do my next speed workout.

Next stop, Stairmaster.

Holy crap, this thing is so hard.

I sweat down to my fingers when I am on this thing. I really like to add this on to the end of my workouts or after I run. Sometimes I make it past 20 minutes, other times I manage 10.

But at all times, I am basically hanging on for dear life while sweat drips off my body.

I try to do at least 2 days on the stairmaster a week.

Lastly among the new workouts, Body Pump.

photo

Body Pump has become my favorite workout of all of the new ones I have tried. I LOVE how strong Body Pump makes me feel. And I mostly love how much of a difference I can already see.

My arms are more toned, and my booty seems to have an extra umph to it!

I try to make it to Body Pump 3 days a week. I ran my fastest half marathon when I was doing weight training, and I think it could really help me with my upcoming races.

I have also really loved doing all these new workouts with my good friend Kara! It has been so much fun to start our mornings together!

Do you have any new workouts you love? Or have you tried any that I am doing?

xoxo,

12 Responses to “New Workout Adventures”

1. mary @ minutes per mile January 31, 2013 at 6:33 am #

I’ve tried all of those! Body Pump was so fun and so different than running! Yesterday I tried barre for the first time — also very tough!

2. Maureen January 31, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I just started doing spin recently and I love it. I haven’t been able to go as often as I want, but I’m trying to make it a regular part of my routine.

3. Jen January 31, 2013 at 9:33 am #

I only started doing spin recently but really like it and I think it’s helped my speed work immensely. I spin at Flywheel in NYC and it’s such a fun experience! I also love high intensity interval training classes with lots of weights and cardio sprints. They’re hard but you feel so great when you’re done!

• mileswithstyle (@AliHatfield) January 31, 2013 at 11:11 am #

I havent tried one of the interval classes yet at my gym, but they do have them! I used to hate workout classes, but now I am addicted. Its also fun to meet new people and start your day with your friends.

4. Steph Runs On January 31, 2013 at 9:35 am #

I’ve heard great things about body pump, I’m excited to start going to classes next month. My muscles need some serious working out!

• mileswithstyle (@AliHatfield) January 31, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Steph you will get hooked on body pump!!!!! It is so great. I love to watch my muscles get more and more defined with each class I take šŸ™‚

5. fullrunner January 31, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I’ve only done body pump once before, but I loveddd it and want to make it part of my routine (once I get a gym membership).
    I really want to try yoga though – I would love to devote more time to stretching.

• mileswithstyle (@AliHatfield) January 31, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Yoga is certainly on my list too. I love the Jillian Michaels Power yoga. It is only 30 minutes and a great workout, I would highly suggest it!

6. Joel Williams January 31, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Bodypump is a great ‘all major muscle groups’ workout. If your gym offers Les Mills CXWorx, try that, too…it’s a core workout…and it smashes the core. Both Pump and CX have helped my running.

7. Lisa Eirene (@LisaEirene) January 31, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Man, I used to LOVE the rolling stairmaster machine at my gym. I’d use it at least twice a week and I’d burn more calories on that machine than any other. I’d be dripping with sweat! Unfortunately, using it caused my to inflame my sacrum and knees. So I had to stop. šŸ˜¦

8. Corey February 11, 2013 at 7:49 am #

The timing of this post was perfect, since I was just asking you about your cross training recently! I really need to try to get some of these cross-training workouts back in my routine! I miss Body Pump and spinning!!