Boston: One Day Later

16 Apr

One day past the tragedy that occurred at the Boston Marathon, and I cannot stop thinking about it.

The sounds of the bombs, the smells that followed, the fear of the people – all of it keeps replaying in my head.

I should stop watching the TV coverage, but I just can’t pull myself away. Every shot I see reminds me of how close we were, and how so many people were affected by this tragedy. Lives were lost, many were injured. It was all so horrible.

My heart is aching for the people who were directly impacted. Whether they sustained an injury, lost a loved one, or witnessed the horror – my heart aches for them. I want to reach out and give everyone a hug. I want to do something for them to make them feel better, but sadly I know there is nothing I can do.

Everyone I know that was at the race is safe, and my family is safe. For that, I feel so lucky.

I went to bed last night and couldn’t sleep. Every time I heard a loud noise from the room above me, I jumped. Every time I heard a siren outside, I cringed. I wanted to get out of that city so bad. This morning, I was able to change my flight from a 5pm to an 11am (thank you SOUTHWEST!). I needed to leave and felt better immediately when we got to the airport.

When we got to the airport we were approached by Homeland Security. After we spoke with them, we settled in at our gate and found other KC runners traveling home. It was comforting to be around so many people with an experience like us. We could all talk about what we were doing when the bombs went off, what we heard and how we felt. We also took a moment to talk about our races. It felt so selfish to share new PR’s or goals we achieved, but we needed to escape for just a moment.

As we got off the plane in KC, we were greeted by news crews. Many of the marathoners were able to walk past them, but I was pulled in to stop and talk. This entire experience I have tweeted, facebooked and blogged how I felt and what was going on around me. I wanted people to know what we were experiencing in Boston, and the best way for me to do this was using social media. It was also therapeutic for me.

When I am upset, I want to write and share my feelings. This blog has always been used as a way for me to share my life with others and talk about my adventures. And right now I am using it in that exact way.

Tomorrow morning I will go back to the real world and my normal everyday life. I will go to work, and coach my girls at Girls on the Run. But I know this tragedy will continue to weigh heavy.

Please continue to acknowledge the heros in this situation. And please continue to send your thoughts and prayers to those that really need it.

Take care, and stay safe.

13 Responses to “Boston: One Day Later”

1. Angie Newton April 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

I can’t even imagine! I’m so thankful you and family are safe.

2. Janice April 16, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Hey Ali! I’m a follower, err stalker of you and now Ramsey! When I heard about the bombs you were the first one I thought of. (I’m a KC runner as well) Of course, I went to the social media to quickly find out you were ok. I appreciated your constant updates about the events and my heart broke for you and your friends that were supposed to be celebrating your success. You will be good for those girls at GOTR, they too wanna know you are ok and you will be able to show them that yes it scared you but you will continue to run and do the things you love to do. I’m babbling but hopefully getting back to normalcy will do you some good. And Congrats on rocking another marathon, that in itself is a huge accomplishment!!

• David November 23, 2013 at 6:56 am #

My spouse and i have been now esaittcc Edward could complete his researching through your precious recommendations he got from your very own weblog. It’s not at all simplistic to simply be giving freely secrets the others might have been trying to sell. And we all know we have the blog owner to thank for that. All of the explanations you made, the simple web site menu, the relationships you can give support to promote it’s mostly astounding, and it’s really letting our son in addition to our family consider that that theme is enjoyable, and that’s very vital. Thank you for the whole lot!

3. Meri @ RunMeriG, Run April 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

Keep writing. Just as it helps you to write (and I echo the feeling), I know it also helps me to read.

I’m glad you’re home safe and sound. Sending you hugs and best wishes tonight (and sending continued congratulations on your amazing accomplishment…not to be diminished either!)

4. Diana April 16, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

♥ My Aunt Mary Davis wrote this poem today ♥ Awesome, Aunt Mary!!! Love it, and I love you…
    REMEMBER BOSTON

The eagle sheds yet another tear,
    For it’s country lives in constant fear.
    On 9/11 the towers fell,
    Now Boston is bombed and going through Hell.

A sweet little angel eight years old,
    Ran a race so brave and bold.
    She ran for the children of Sandy Hook,
    Til a bomb exploded and her life it took.

Our Heavenly Father has called her home,
    Now with the angels she will roam.
    We won’t let her death be in vain,
    We’ll hunt these cowards who caused so much pain.

As patriots united, we will stand,
    To keep the freedoms of our great land.
    With prayers to God for courage and wisdom,
    We’ll rid our country of evil terrorism.

So pledge your allegiance to our flag,
    Defend the freedoms of which we brag.
    Hold fast to God and the strength he brings,
    Til once again our freedom rings!

Dedicated to Boston and the victims of this terrible tragedy.

5. Anonymous April 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

I hope now you are OK at Home. I appreciate a lot your thoughs and all that You Said in your blog, are worth words. The way that you feel after the Boston events and the description after that let me feel as if i had been right there. Keep posting,never stop. Its your history, is your life.

6. Heather Iacobacci-Miller April 17, 2013 at 7:32 am #

I agree with Meri!

7. Nancy Hat. April 17, 2013 at 8:18 am #

As we continue to process the events of the last 48 hours, one thing has stood out in my mind. For the past 30 years all I’ve wanted to do was make sure you and Michael were safe – that’s all that mattered. I realized that sometimes it’s out of my control, and you know I’m not comfortable NOT being in control. But I also realized as I watched Ramsey comfort and care for you following the tragedy, that I suddenly had help in that department. I am so proud of my kids (and my future kids), and I choose to celebrate THAT today!

• Laura April 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Tears in my eyes. Love that, Nance!

8. Sean M April 17, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Ali, on April 28th I’m running the OKC Memorial Marathon. Yesterday the marathon announced that they would provide free registration to any Boston runners who couldn’t finish the race. I know you guys finished but if you have any friends who would like to come to Okc, my wife and I are providing our guest room so the runners won’t have to pay for lodging. We will provide a ride to and from the race too, since I’m running it and Jen is volunteering. We have space for a couple in a queen bed and for one on a twin blow up.

No effort has been organized here to coordinate lodging so I thought I’d post on here.

Glad you’re home safe.

9. joe h April 17, 2013 at 9:08 am #

glad you’re home. it will get better. stay safe

10. Angie C April 17, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Ali, I’m so happy you and your friends/family are home safe. I too waited for updates from you letting us all know you guys were okay. I can’t imagine what you and others went..and are still through, but I do know that Abby is excited to see you tonight. In her eyes, and so many others, you are an inspiration. She doesn’t quite understand the devastation that has been caused in Boston, but when she sees you on TV, along with coach Stacy, she is proud! Proud to have you as her coach!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Good Outweighs Evil: Post Boston Marathon Tragedy Thoughts | Runner's Re'treats' - April 17, 2013

[…] Boston: One Day Later: Miles with Style […]