Hello to all my friends – new and old! I hope you had such a great fourth of July, and are continuing to enjoy some time off. If you are at work right now – I hope my post on Amanda’s blog will offer you a reason to avoid your work duties.
When Amanda asked me to do a Runner Spotlight on her blog, I was BEYOND honored and excited!!! Amanda and I actually worked at the same company once upon a time, and I have crazy amounts of respect (and jealousy) of her blog. She is the real deal fo sho!
At the end of Amanda’s blog, I was about to tell you my top style tips. Well, here they are and I hope you enjoy and can apply!!
You are Miles with Style so I would be remiss if I didn’t get some tips here too!! For the same busy ladies who are getting ready for work after those long runs what are 5 Tips to pull themselves together and look styled quickly.
1. Always try to have these 4 elements in each outfit: Texture, Pattern, Shine and Pop. Example – a skirt/pant with texture, a top with a pattern, some jewelry to sparkle and a bright colored shoe, handbag or belt. When I have the 4 elements in my outfit, I always think I look better. I have to credit ‘What Not to Wear’ for this style tip!
2. Plan the outfit the night before. It will save you time in the morning and also result in a much more put together look that incorporate the elements above!
3. Invest in staple pieces that will transition. I love solid dresses or skirts that I can wear in a number of different ways and in different seasons. I have many dresses that I will wear in the winter layered with jackets or sweaters, and can wear in the summer with flip flops and fun jewelry. My favorite places to go for these pieces are Ann Taylor, LOFT, Banana Republic, Gap and J.Crew. These places always have some kind of sale too.
4. Buy some nice jeans that FIT. Being a runner has caused my thighs to grow in size but the rest of my body to get smaller, and many jeans don’t cater to that. Last summer I went on a day long shopping excursion to find the jeans that fit me right. I finally found them at J.Crew and they are the only jeans I wear now! I have pretty much gotten rid of all my other pairs and stick with these because I feel so much better when I wear them.
5. A good hairstyle is very important. When we get up super early to run or have to fit in a 10 miler before work, we don’t have time to spend 45 minutes styling our hair! Try to get a hairstyle that you can manage and doesn’t take a lot of maintenance. Any extra minute we can get in the morning is extremely valuable. And when I have extra time in the morning, I would much rather use it stretching after my run than styling a complicated hairstyle 😉