NYC Marathon: My Plan for Success

23 Jul

Two weeks ago, I wasn’t sure I was going to run NYC. In fact, I was thinking about every way I could get out of it. My last blog post even centered around all the reasons why I didn’t want to run it. To say I was freaking out would be an understatement. I was in full blown anxiety mode.

But this post will be different. And much of why it will be different is because of you.

A HUGE Thank You to everyone for all your amazing words and encouragement following the last post. I was in awe over the positive messages you sent me and I can say that you all helped me to completely change my mindset on this race.

While two weeks ago I was stressed to the max, I am now excited for the months to come and the race waiting for me on November 3rd.

Here are my top reasons why I am now EXCITED and READY to train/run NYC!

1. I missed my running routine. Two days back at the early morning runs and I feel like a new person. I have more energy, I feel happier and I love the satisfaction and high right after the run is done.
  2. I will run for FUN. Many of you suggested I take a new PR out of my mind for NYC training, and I think this was the best thing for me to do. I will not run to PR on November 3rd. I will run to finish and have fun. With the pressure of a PR off the table, it feels like a 20 pound weight was lifted.
  3. The opportunity to make new friends. As I mentioned previously, my new neighborhood is pretty far away from my old hood, which means I am far away from my running buddies. That aspect totally sucks, but I have already been in contact with quite a few girls that live by me and would be awesome running buddies. I have also been talking to some other girls about joining their Saturday morning running club, which would introduce me to a whole other group of runners in the area.
  4. I will finally get my money’s worth for this race. In total, I have paid $532 in entry fees to run NYC….and I have yet to run this freaking race (we had to pay again if we decided to run it in 2013, 2014 or 2015). It would be a shame to throw that hard earned cash down the toilet!

So there ya go. I am excited to run NYC and know it will be an awesome experience. It will also be a healing experience.

Thanks again for all the support!!!

999516_678232975524842_604476534_n

What races do you have on the horizon?

How do you motivate yourself to start training?

6 Responses to “NYC Marathon: My Plan for Success”

1. thedancingrunner July 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Whenever I have PR’d in the past…I have never expected to. I have always just gone out and run for fun and some days you have it, some you don’t. So yes, go out and have fun! Enjoy the 26.2 journey. You will do fantastic!!

2. Allison (@CirqueduSweet) July 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Great goals… HAVE FUN!

3. Jeff Maher July 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Ali- I’m so happy to hear your mindset reverse! I started writing you a couple different times but got interrupted and never went back to finish so I apologize. I’m glad you received lots of support from others! I too am pulling off my goals for NYC and won’t be attempting to PR so it should be less stressful for me too! Hope to see you on the trails!

4. Amy Lauren July 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I agree with the dancing runner above, most of my PRs have been unexpected. Well, my 10K PR was expected but just because I almost never run or race that distance. I think NYC would be a fun marathon to run for fun because there will be lots of cheerleaders and spectators, and you get to see New York. Plus you’re pretty strong as a runner anyway, so you’ll still do great.

PRs and time goals really frustrate me in training sometimes too. It puts a lot of pressure where we shouldn’t have pressure, after all we are just doing this for fun and not professional athletes. Life already puts a ton of pressure on us without running contributing to that.

5. meri @ runmerigrun July 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad! I started following you when we were both going through the ups and downs of 2012 NYC. So happy to “share” this experience with you in 2013! I’m not running for a time goal (although beating Miami would be a bonus!) Instead I want to just finally run New York City! (Um….and totally get my money’s worth. I hear you on that! This is year number THREE for me after 2011 injury!!)

6. Sophie @ life's philosophie July 24, 2013 at 6:42 am #

Motivation for me comes from seeing how far I can go. Whether it’s increasing my speed or the distance. I decided to sign up for the October Marine Corps Marathon so I could push myself to move past my favorite distance, the 1/2 marathon. I’m nervous and excited to run my first marathon! Good luck on NYC!